Friday, June 25, 2010

Had my first Ironman nightmare.  WOW.  I forgot to register!  That woke me up with a start.  Can you imagine.  All this effort, planning and money and missing the registration deadline?  My thoughts were swirling after that...

But so you know, I'll be one of the first people at Ironman Village this morning to get that minor detail taken care of!

As I mentioned in the post below.  Yesterday had the potential to be a friggin' crappy day.  But it wasn't. It was actually quite awesome.  I have a feeling this will be a very random and a very long post.  A lot of pieces have finally slotted together.
_________________________________________________________
Mardi is now back in my possession.  I didn't realize how happy I would be to see her.  I was so ready to hand her off on the 17th...but it was awesome seeing her racked up with 'the others'.  The amount of stress that disappeared when I finally had her back was amazing.  Stress that I didn't even know I had...so weird.  We were walking down to the waterfront to get a feel for things, when I realized that we had a small window of opportunity to get my stuff.  Poor St.john.  He thought is was going to be a leisurely stroll.  HA!  We, ok I, was almost sprinting at the end trying to locate the pick up area.  It was a race against a non existent clock.  TriBike Transport were there pretty much all evening.  It turns out I'm not the only one with separation anxiety.  It was getting busier and busier during our time in line.

Getting her was my first experience with 'the village'.  It was the tail end of Day 1's registration and expo.  It will still full of people but things had closed (registration) or in the process of closing (Official Ironman Store).
Yep.  I snuck right on in.  I needed a race belt.  Hopefully the only item that I still 'needed'.  And yes.  That is a true need.  No belt, no race.   So many rules.  

For the record.  I fit in.

I didn't realize how much I doubted that I would.  But obviously I did.

I guess if I look back over the past year, I have spent much of it feeling almost like an impostor.  I wasn't super fit.  I've never done a triathlon.  I struggled with training.  What the heck was I thinking taking up a spot at an Ironman?  But yesterday?  Yesterday, I laid a lot of those fears to rest.  I can't pin point it, I'd like to but...I just felt like I didn't stick out like a sore thumb.  I'm not sure what I thought I should look like to attempt becoming an Ironman but I know I've worked my tail off.  I've become stronger.  Fitter.  Leaner.  And conceited as this may sound, I'm loving my legs.  I haven't thought that since my soccer days.  I sooooo don't like all the work that went into making them this way but damn, I like 'em.

Ohh, Stjohn just appeared.  It's only 7 am here.  I've been up since 4.30.  Typing and processing my thoughts.

The house we rented is awesome.  I have to admit.  I've been pretty resentful of how CDA jacks up their rental/hotel prices during Ironman...but...we made a decision to rent a house in the slim chance any one was able or wanted to come down and more importantly to have a kitchen and not have to rely on restaurant food.  The place is beautiful.  Clean, spacious with a beautiful garden and hot tub.  It is close enough to walk down town (driving and parking is crazy right now) but far enough away that we are away from the hub bub and stressors of the village.  Last night while in the hot tub with a beer...it actually felt like we were on vacation.  Quiet, private and relaxing.  I am on the patio right now listening to the neighbours 3 storey pond gurgling.  Kinda like home.

I'll leave you with some slick marketing material.  The fuckers don't mention any of the hundreds of hours that go on to get you to that finish line...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh1yMnrby3w&feature=related

And one last unrelated random link.  My current favourite song that makes me smile...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDKva-s_khY

Hope today goes as well as yesterday

No comments: