Monday, February 14, 2011

8 months. Or to be more precise, 232 days

232 days of fooling myself. Fooling myself into thinking I was still active. Active enough to retain my 2010 summer fitness level. I swore I would never go back to where I was before I started the journey, but truth be told, I'm worse off now than before my training days. If I look back, I think the downward slide started to happen just prior to Ironman.

What is the cause of this introspection? I suffered through yet another long run on Saturday.

20 kms.

20 long, fucking, miserable kilometers! Other than rain, we hit all the elements. Snow, both the big fluffy happy snow and also the sting your face driving snow, blizzard in bright sunshine, blizzard in overcast conditions, slush, ice and wind. The wind was so bad in the last third of the run, we put in an emergency call to get picked up. During the recap of the run (read bitching & moaning over breakfast) I heard a few home truths come out from my running buddy and husband…

I’m mulled them over and realized, I’ve been fooling (deluding?) no one but myself.

I’m just not taking care of myself or listening to my body and I’m honestly no happier today then I was when I was training (which I was absolutely convinced I would be with the stress of training behind me).

The culprit? I was going to say Alcohol. Plain and simple. But I don’t think that’s it. I need to include
• Not sleeping well
• Dehydration
• Not enough fresh veg in my life
• Only completing 2 or 3 workouts per week at a half assed level
• Not respecting the long run distances and prepping nutritionally or mentally for them...

The list really could go on. But I'm going to stop there. I'm going to stop and focus on what I have already and begin improvements immediately.

I think coming here and holding myself accountable is key too. So back to more consistent posting. Even if it is only a entry of the activities I engaged in for that day.

No comments: