Friday, June 26, 2009

366 days....

With a 5 month plan of action starting to come together my stomach has settled down a wee bit......my biggest stumbling block was knowing that I had not completed any of the required distances. Fine! Lets get'er done: By following John Stanton's 19 week marathon training program, starting this weekend, I will have a 26.2 run under my belt by the end of 2009.

1/2 marathon - October 18, 2009
Marathon - November 1, 2009

I have signed up for 11 week triathlon introductory course that began last night. It was total serendipity that this program was through online research. The group meets at a branch of where I work, unheard of by me until Wednesday. It fits within a time frame where I can be dropped off, work out, shower, and then be picked up (we are a one car family with an ongoing Thursday engagement). The program is an hour long bike ride, with alternating runs/swims each week. While I was a nervous wreck leading up to last nights session, I think this will be good for me. It will introduce me to riding with a large group, riding on the road, AND swimming in open water . There are 4 0r 5 open water sessions with a SAFETY BOAT following the group. All this is coupled with information sessions regarding the equipment required and weekly training plans that focus on swimming and weights. PERFECT!

Last night reinforced the old adage: You can never judge a book by it's cover. There were many different shapes, sizes, bikes and attire in attendance and it is not necessarily the prettiest, most expensive or suped up model that is the best prepared. I think that is a lesson that I will need to remember when the mind games of ICdA begin.
_________________________________________________
Yesterday's Activity: 1 hour bike ride (unsure of distance as I was so scattered and scared that I didn't use my garmin), .75 km run (slow and steady. Met and chatted with one of the participants.) 1.25 km walk with dogs.

No comments: