Wednesday, July 15, 2009

348....
Success! I swam almost 1km in open water last night. My stroke wasn't pretty and I was tuckered at the end BUT I DID IT!
I think my phobia is the inability to see what is going on in the water. Gulliver's Lake is fairly shallow and clear. With my goggles on, I could see the fish. I could see the 'seaweed'. I could see the smiling alligator head someone placed on the bottom. And shockingly, none of this bothered me. What did freak me out was arriving at the middle of the lake where visibility was greatly reduced. I couldn't see the bottom or through the water. This experience has definitely given me some food for thought......
My next 'baby step', is to 'attempt' Gulliver's sans wetsuit. The wetsuit is actually my biggest complaint right now. I was aware that it would be hard to get on and off (and it was) but I also found it was uncomfortable at the joints (bunching), extremely warm and very short through the torso/shoulders. I will need to do some more research on styles, sizes and such before I jump in and make a purchase.
Yesterday's Activities: 3.5 km run (7 min hills, 21 min fast flat) and 950m swim

No comments: